Representatives of Overseas Businesses
This visa category has been introduced for those intending to come to the UK to establish a branch of subsidiary of a company based abroad or representatives of foreign media organisations being posted to the UK with a view to stay for a long-term assignment.
- An applicant must either be:
- An overseas media employee employed by an foreign newspaper, news agency or broadcasting company posted on a long-term assignment in the UK.
- The sole representative in the UK of an employer based abroad who intends to establish and operate a registered branch or wholly-owned subsidiary in the UK.
- The employer must have its headquarters and principal place of business outside the UK.
- Where the applicant is seeking entry as a sole representative, the company has no other branch, subsidiary or representative in the UK. On the other hand, if the company is a media company, it can have more than one representative in the UK at the same time.
- All applicants must meet the basic standard in English Language.
In order to apply under this category, both the applicant and his employer must meet certain requirements:
For the applicant must:
- Be an employee of the company abroad
- Intend to undertake full time employment in the same company when in the UK.
- Not undertake any other employment regardless whether this employment is part-time.
- Be applying as a sole-representative of the parent company based abroad.
- Not hold more than 50% of shares of the parent company based abroad.
- Hold a senior position within the company.
- Have every permission to act and make decisions on behalf of the overseas business for the purpose of representing it in the UK.
- Submit documentary evidence proving that the applicant will maintain and accommodate himself and any dependants throughout the duration of his stay in the UK.
- Must have the required level of English Language proficiency.
The employer must have:
- Its headquarters and principal place of business in the UK
- No presence in the UK (branch, subsidiary or prior representative)
Important notes to consider when applying:
- A sole representative must not be an agent engaged to market the company’s products in the UK. The role does not include sales representative roles or someone acting as a buyer. However, senior sales staff responsible for marketing and distribution may qualify as a representative of an overseas business.
|Can the applicant’s dependants apply?||Yes|
|Work and study permitted?||Yes, both are allowed but only as the sole representative of the company.|
|Is switching into this category allowed?||No|
|Does this category lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain?||Yes|
Submit your review