Immigration Office:
5th Floor, Maddox House, 1 Maddox Street, Mayfair, London, W1S 2PZ

Visa for Domestic Workers

If you your employer wants to visit the UK and you want to work in his private household, you will have to apply for a visa for a domestic worker in a private household. Of course your employer will need a visa too, unless he is British or an EEA national. You should make your application at least 3 months before you plan to travel to the UK. The visa will cost you £278.

Domestic workers include:

  • Cleaners
  • Chauffeurs
  • Cooks
  • Those providing personal care for the employer and their family
  • Nannies


The conditions you need to comply with are:

  • You will be working full-time as a domestic worker in a private household;
  • You have been working for your employer for at least one year;
  • You are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland;
  • You are between 18 and 65 years old;
  • You are able to support yourself, as you will not receive public funds;
  • You have to keep working for your employer and your job must remain the same;
  • You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language, unless you are a national of a country where English is spoken.

How long can you stay

The maximum term you can stay in the UK is 6 months; however, if your employer leaves sooner, you will have to return home too.

Employment rights

Working in the UK, you will have the following employment rights:

  • You must be paid at least the national minimum wage;
  • You may not be forced to work excessive hours;
  • You must be given agreed holiday pay;
  • You must be given the legal notice if your employment ends.

These employment conditions should be agreed upon with your employer and you must have received a copy of the agreement. It cannot be changed without your permission. In case your employer would violate the agreement, you will be able to take action through an employment tribunal or civil court.

How to apply

You must apply online through the following website:

Unless you are from North Korea or Cuba, in which case you will have to apply in person. You can download the form on the Home Office website.

If you want to extend your working visa, you must be in the UK and you must apply before your current visa (for less than 6 months) expires.

Documents you must provide

You will need the following documents: (in English, if not: certified translation)

  • Current passport or other valid travel identification;
  • 2 passport sized coloured photographs;
  • Proof you can support yourself during the trip;
  • Details of where you will be staying and your return travel booking;
  • Letter from your employer that you have worked for him for at least one year;
  • Terms and conditions of your employment (signed by you and your employer).

You may need to provide other documents, depending on the situation.

Submit your review

Create your own review

Average rating:  
 0 reviews

What we're saying



Read All

  • Home Office faces wrath of students

    In today’s blog post we will comment on the recent developments within a long standing case that has resulted in international students being removed from ...

    Read More

  • Supreme Court challenge to the requirements

    In today’s blog post we report on the current three day hearing before the Supreme Court in regards to the minimum earning requirements for UK ...

    Read More

  • Fee increases

    In today’s blog post we will comment on the recent announcement by the UK government to increase visa fees across a range of categories and ...

    Read More

  • New salary cap limits those who can stay

    In today’s blog post we will report on the news that the UK government are raising the earning threshold needed for foreign workers to settle ...

    Read More

  • Second reading of Bill

    The House of Lords read for the second time the new Immigration Bill 2015/2016 this week. The second reading of a bill allows for the ...

    Read More